Breast cancer is a kind of cancer that develops from breast cells. Breast cancer usually starts off in the inner lining of milk ducts or the lobules that supply them with milk. It is one of the common cancers seen in women.It is estimated that there one out of 8-10 women would develop breast cancer.
Having a close relative like mother and sister with breast cancer, women who give their birth after their 30’s, women over 50, women with an early menarche and late menapouse, women who have never breastfed their babies, women already with a cancer in their breasts, women with BRCA gene, women who have used birth control pills for more than 10 years, overweight women, women who consume alcohol increase the risk of having breast cancer.
The symptoms of Breast Cancer is increasing day by day but because of the awareness, developed imaging technology and biopsy procedures early diagnosois became possible. For the illnesses which are diagnosed at the early stage . recovery percentage is higher. Besides the new applications in surgery , the new type of chemotherapy drugs used and developments in Radiotherapy makes breast cancer controllable and curable .
With the increasing success in diagnosis and treatment the patients who have breast problems started to ask for comfortable treatments with less complications including cosmetics.
We are glad to serve you with our experienced staff in our new Breast Health Center.
Our main goal is;
- To have a pre-diagnosis for the breast cancer by using digital mamography,Digital tomosynthesis ,ultrasonography, Elastography, Advanced MGR imagining
- To have a correct and quick diagnosis by using fine-needle aspiration, core-needle aspiration, and incisional biopsy techniques to determine the tumor.
- Organizing the surgical and oncolgical treatment of breast cancer in the most efficient way together with the aesthetic solutions
Symtoms Of Breast Cancer
- A lump in a breast
- A pain in the armpits or breast that does not seem to be related to the woman's menstrual period
- Pitting or redness of the skin of the breast; like the skin of an orange
- A rash around (or on) one of the nipples
- A swelling (lump) in one of the armpits
- An area of thickened tissue in a breast
- One of the nipples has a discharge; sometimes it may contain blood
- The nipple changes in appearance; it may become sunken or inverted
- The size or the shape of the breast changes
- The nipple-skin or breast-skin may have started to peel, scale or flake
What Is Screening In Breast Cancer?
Early diagnose may decrease the risk of deaths and removal of breasts in breast cancer cases. That is why it is very important to determine breast cancer before the symptoms above appear. Screening methods are described as women getting their breasts checked in order to have early diagnose even though they have no problems or complaints with their breats.
There are three basic screening methods.
- Annual mammography
It takes about 4-5 years for a lump to be recognised by hand. However with mammography a lump could be determined 2-3 years before it can be recognised by hand. Lumps recognised before they are visible by hand have more chance of a better treatment and survival. Women should get their breasts screened after the age of 40. During the screening breast is gently pressed to a machine and X-rays determine the lump, if exists.
- Monthly self examination
Women examining their own breast regularly is a very easy and convenient method. This should be done 3-5 days after the end mensturation. Women in menapouse or women with hysterectomy should also examine their breasts regularly.
If done regularly it is possible to recognise the possible changes in breasts.
- Annual Doctor’s Visit
Women with high risk of breast cancer or with family history of breast cancer should regularly see their doctor when they reach the age of 35-40.
In some specail cases, in women with silicosis, in women who have dense breast tissues, and in women who have family history of breast cancer magnetic resonance screening (MRG)could also be used .
What Are The Diagnose Methods?
In our center we use mammography, ultrasound, breast MRG and elasography and tomosynthesis as diagnose methods. However , the definite diagnosis can be determined by tissue biopsy. A sample tissue is removed form the breast and is sent to our pathology unit and is studied . Then it is determined if it is a maligne tumor or not.
Today, we use fine-needle aspiration, core-needle aspiration, and incisional biopsy techniques to determine the tumor. However, core-needle aspiration is the one we commonly use.
What Are The Treatment Methods?
There isn’t a one and only method fort he treatment of breast cancer. Surgery, radiotherapy, and/or hormon therapy could be used depending on the state of the patient. However the most important step would stil be early diagnosis. Patients who were diagnose at an early stage have a recovery chance of %95.
- Surgery…..In the past the breast used to be removed and and underarm tissues were also removed. However, now, although some patients need the similar kind of surgery, in some patients breast preservation surgery may just be sufficient. In breast preservation surgery some part of the breast is removed and radiotherapy is given to the reamining part of the breast.
Also unnecessary lymph removal is alwasy avoided. If wanted, during the surgery a new breast could be placed in the empty area. This is called onchoplastic surgery. A new breast could easily be made by silicone or by one’s own tissue cells.
- Chemotherapy…Medication that can stop or slow down cell production are very effective for cancer. Tumors that have a potential of moving to other parts of the body can be controlled by these medications. Success rate is getting higher everyday.
- Radiotherapy….By high energy X rays cell production is stopped. This is applied locally.
- Hormon Therapy….Breast tissues are very sensitive to women’s hormones. Fort his reason specail hormon therapies that suppress these hormones are used in thies treatment.
Our center is proud to treat breast cancer successfully with a team of experienced staff.